how to freeze kiwi – from eHow
Kiwi fruit is a small green fruit that is full of vitamin c and is good for your heart. You can freeze kiwi fruit when it is in season for use in colder months. Unlike some fruits, kiwi fruit freezes well without being packed in syrup.
1. Select firm, ripe, good quality kiwi fruit. Frozen kiwi is best when starting with a good quality fruit.
2. Peel the kiwi fruit removing all of the outer peel.
3. Cut the kiwi fruit into 1/4 inch slices.
4. Pack the kiwi fruit into freezer safe containers and seal. The container used in freezing is important. Containers that allow oxygen to reach the kiwi will also allow oxidation of the fruit and freezer burn. Vacuum packing is one of the best methods for freezing foods and can extend the life of the frozen food.
5. Label the containers with the date and the contents.
6. Kiwi fruit should be used within 1 year of freezing. Frozen kiwi fruit is best if served before it is completely thawed. It can also be used in preparing smoothies.
EAT YOUR COLORS is another rule from FOOD RULES book. all about phytonutrients
Last night we had colorful millet salad from THE COMPLETE WHOLE GRAIN COOKBOOK. I like to put the different things all together and eat with chop sticks – YUM
1 1/2 c. cooked millet
1 can corn (or frozen corn)
1 c. chopped celery
1 avocado, diced
1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped scallion or onion
2 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. grated lime rind
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground red or white pepper
In large bowl toss millet, corn, celery, avocado, red bell pepper, and scallion. In smaller bowl, stir together lime juice, olive oil, lime rind, canola oil, celery seed, salt, and ground pepper. Pour over millet mixture and toss until combined.